How to Shop at Thrift Shops


I could write posts on why shopping at thrift shops is exhilarating all day long. I have not always felt this way. My spending habits have been out of control for years. I loved going to malls and shopping name brand. Then, when I felt guilty about it, I would start going to Ross or TJ Maxx because I thought I was saving money.

The problem with that is I was spending the same amount, just bringing home a redonkulous amount of cheaply made clothes to stash in my closet.

I vowed to change my spending habits several months ago. I've been able to pay off all of my credit card debt since then. I didn't spend hours upon hours crunching numbers for a budget. No spreadsheets for me. I needed a simple approach.

The only way to save money or pay off debt is to simply spend less than you earn. I've tried to find a magic formula, but there just isn't one.

One way to seriously save money is on clothing and accessories. I'm not saying that I don't like a new item every now and then. But, when that urge arises I head to the thrift shop. The payoff is huge if you can figure out how to maneuver the thrift shop.

Know what you need: The buggy fills up way too fast if you don't go inside knowing exactly what it is that you are searching. It's fun to browse, but be careful; the low price will fool you into buying. Then, you are spending more frivolously and clutter you house with crap.

Do not buy something that is raggedy: Seriously, if the item is damaged, stained, holy, gross don't buy it. There are plenty of things to buy that aren't ruined. It's not worth it. It will not be used or worn, so pass it up.

Dig: I know. At first the thrift shop can seem overwhelming. There is so much to see before getting to that special gem. Enjoy the experience. Everything you see is an opportunity to explore. There are hidden jewels all throughout the store.

Set a time limit: This tip goes hand in hand with knowing what you need before entering the store. You can easily lose time while shopping. If you need a shirt and pair of shoes for instance, only shop the shirt and shoe section. Check out. Leave. Don't look back.

Opportunity to sell: Some items sell on eBay like nobody's business. You can find a lot of items that sell quickly. Look for those items as well before leaving the store. Immediately list on eBay.

Shopping second hand is really a great area to save money or pay off debt.

The photo above is an example of some really cute things that you can stumble upon. These shoes are practically brand new. It set me back all of $4. Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment